I'm a US citizen and my voter registration was previously rejected because I've never resided in the US. What can I do?

As noted in the answer to FAQ #10 (“Can I Register To Vote If I’ve Never Resided In The U.S.?”), federal law guarantees your right to vote in federal elections. To register to vote, you submit the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) to the last state in which your U.S. parent resided before leaving the U.S. However, the FPCA covers all 50+ U.S. voting jurisdictions and not all classification categories are applicable for every state. If your voter registration application was rejected because you indicated you’ve “Never Resided” in the state, you can re-apply under another category. As an non-military overseas voter, the alternatives are: “I intend to return” or “My return is uncertain.” Alternatively, you could submit your FPCA to another state to which you have a strong tie–such as lengthy stays (30 days in-state is often a requirement to register to vote) or multiple visits to friends or relatives. Please keep in mind, this is general advice about registering to vote as an overseas voter. The Local Election Official (LEO) in the voting district makes the final determination whether to accept a voter’s registration form.